Saturday, September 1, 2012

Let's Talk about Sex, Baby

My diary entry from 2004 continues (with names changed to protect real people) ...

A conversation recorded with Vickie at a diner while on tour.


KEVIN:  Why are you a Catholic?

VICKIE:  I love the Church.  I love the liturgy, the ability to get close to God.

KEVIN:  (thinks) Church of the Vague Sentiment.

VICKIE:  It’s very important to me.  And sexuality (she actually used that term) is more to me than just one thing, it is about the whole person ..

KEVIN:  Where did you get this notion of what sex is?

VICKIE:  From my mother.  That’s why I have defended my virginity all these years …

KEVIN:  Vickie, if you are engaging in sexual activity without penetration, you are not a virgin.  You are to be commended for defending something that one in a thousand girls do not defend anymore –

VICKIE:  Not even that many.

KEVIN:  But you have been poorly catechized.  What your mother tells you sex is, is not what the Church teaches.  You love the Church, and you are beloved of God and of Our Lady…

VICKIE:  Stop.  You’re going to make me cry.

KEVIN:  … and you believe in defending virginity, when you don’t know that you’re sacrificing your virginity every time you have sex.  Because sex without penetration is still having sex.  If you love this Church and Our Lord, you can not stop at loving it for its liturgy and art; you must recognize that the Catholic Church claims to teach infallibly on matters of faith and morals, and it is the teaching of the Church – not my personal opinion – that any sexual activity outside of marriage is an objectively sinful act.  Sin is a lie, and if you give yourself to a lie, you can not expect God to keep you from the consequences of that lie, which is blindness to the truth.  You can’t love the Church and not follow its teaching.  You can’t be a virgin and still have sex.  You can’t have your cake and eat it, too.

No comments: