Tuesday, January 8, 2013

More Journeys Home

On Monday, February 11 (Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes), my actress Maria Romine will be featured on Marcus Grodi's program, The Journey Home on EWTN.  She will be telling the story of her conversion from being Presbyterian to being Catholic, a journey I'm proud to say that Theater of the Word Incorporated and I played a large role in.  In fact, I was Maria's sponsor when she was received into the Church a few years back.

Maria Romine on the set of The Journey Home


Maria is a very sweet person (except when she's driving and she encounters toll booths), an excellent actress, and a good friend.  Her story will be well worth watching.

Then, this coming summer, The Journey Home will air an episode featuring me as Orestes Brownson, 19th Century American author and Catholic convert.  I will be telling "my" journey (Brownson's journey) into the Catholic Church.  Brownson is a fascinating man - America's John Henry Newman, in my opinion - and this will also make for a fascinating program.  In addition, I will be portraying Orestes Brownson at this year's Portsmouth Institute Conference at Portsmouth Abbey School in June.

Follow this blog or sign up for my newsletter for reminders, which I'll pass along as we get closer.

I'm proud, then, of three things ...


  • My role (by God's grace) in Maria's conversion.
  • The fact that this will be my fifth appearance on The Journey Home
  • The beard that I will have to grow or buy to portray Orestes Brownson.  Once I have this beard, I'll easily get bookings as a Rutherford B. Hayes look-a-like!  And there's a market for that.  Maybe.
Orestes Brownson as Orestes Brownson - but not for long!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that fussed on Brownson right now - just read a sermon of this where he defends the Fugitive Slave Law, calls it the Law of God (will of the government is the will of God, practically) and compares abolitionists and free-soilers to Satan. His other stuff is better, but I've just gone through a period of reading about the Civil War and have come away deeply disappointed by the Church's failure in the area of slavery.
Quite a disgraceful period, actually. By and large the episcopacy was ambiguous on the issue (Archbishop John Hughes seemed to actually defend the institution a few times), the Catholic Judge Taney ruled in the Dredd Scott case that "the negro had no rights which the white man had to respect" and Irish Catholics lynched quite a few black people in the Draft Riots.
Sorry for the rant, but how did you feel when reading about the subject of Catholics in the Civil War? I'm assuming you read something about it for your role as Brownson.

Harry (had to post as anonymous, OpenID isn't working, sorry)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin,

Did you by any chance get my mail with The Father Brown Play DVD yet? I had addressed it by your name not by 'Theater of the Word Inc' before posting it.

D.