Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Forever Jung

OK, I've had some bad things to say about Pappa Carl (C. G. Jung, whose collected works I read with relish long ago when I was an atheist), but sometimes he nails it ...


  • Neurosis is always a substitute for legitimate suffering. - Carl Jung

  • Mistakes are, after all, the foundations of truth, and if a man does not know what a thing is, it is at least an increase in knowledge if he knows what it is not. - Carl Jung

  • A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has never overcome them. - Carl Jung

  • Children are educated by what the grown-up is and not by his talk. - Carl Jung

  • The Christian missionary may preach the gospel to the poor naked heathen, but the spiritual heathen who populate Europe have as yet heard nothing of Christianity. - Carl Jung

  • The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves. - Carl Jung

  • The healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers. - Carl Jung

  • Understanding does not cure evil, but it is a definite help, inasmuch as one can cope with a comprehensible darkness. - Carl Jung

  • Where love reigns, there is no will to power; and where the will to power is paramount, love is lacking. The one is but the shadow of the other. - Carl Jung


4 comments:

Joey Higgins said...

Great post. Especially like this one:

The Christian missionary may preach the gospel to the poor naked heathen, but the spiritual heathen who populate Europe have as yet heard nothing of Christianity. - Carl Jung

Jim S. said...

Have you ever listened to Fr. Mitch Pacwa's talk on Jungian psychology? it's available for download at keepthefaith.org for only a buck fifty. EXTREMELY good talk! I used to be heavily involved in the Men's Movement, but then I started finding more and more of it incompatible with my Catholic faith...After I listened to Fr. Mitch's talk I learned how heavily this movement was influenced by Jung's writings and thus the problematic nature of a lot of his worldview. I decided shortly after that to leave this old group altogether after I heard that talk, and have since joined a Catholic Men's Fellowship with my parish, which has been MUCH better.

Kevin O'Brien said...

Jim S., you are very right. I have been quite critical of Jung on this blog. I have read everything the man's written. I was a big adherent of his before my conversion. He's a gnostic and into some very dark things spiritually. You and Fr. Mitch are quite correct to point out his errors and the danger of buying into his philosophy.

This post is merely an attempt to show the things he did get right.

Jim S. said...

Yes, this is a good post, and I should have mentioned that in my previous comment. These quotes from Jung are quite insightful, and come to think of it, whenever Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen quoted Jung in one of his talks, it seemed to be in a positive light. I look forward to reading more posts from you on Jung, keep up the good work!