Wednesday, September 4, 2013

50 Days of Prayer - Day 12

[To go to a specific day's post in our 50 Days of Prayer, click on one of the days listed to the right. For an explanation of what the 50 Days of Prayer is about, click here. If you've missed some days, just jump in and join us anyway!] 

Day Twelve

Hide and Seek



Yesterday we prayed Finding Jesus in the Temple, and reflected upon looking closely for God's presence, seeking Him even in the the little less-than-perfect things around us, where we'd least expect to find Him.  

Today I want to reflect upon the vice or resistance that opposes that willingness to seek.

I have been writing lately about atheism.  I was an atheist myself for many years, and the big difference I see between the atheists of today and me was, angry as I was at the God who didn't exist, I never gave up seeking Him.  I didn't know it was a Him I was seeking, but I knew there was such a thing as truth - and beauty and goodness.  I didn't think those things could be found in the Christian Faith, of course, but I knew they existed and I knew they transcended everyday life and I knew they could be found.  

So I kept seeking.  And ...

For every one that asks receives; and he that seeks finds; and to him that knocks it shall be opened. (Mat. 7:8)

This means that when we lose something, or when we feel lost ourselves, the greatest temptation is to give up, to become like the modern atheists and materialists who say, "It's all an illusion.  Life has no meaning.  Suffering is pointless.  The truth does not exist, and if it does it can't be found."

Get past that, get over that hump, and keep seeking.  For if you keep seeking, we have God's guarantee that you will find.  Eventually.

And don't let your sins discourage you.  Confess and keep trying.  Don't let your suffering overwhelm you.  God always shows Himself through suffering - always - just keep seeking Him and He'll be there.  Don't fall for the lie that the flutter of joy in our hearts when the wings of His angels beat upon is merely our imagination, our wishful thinking.  We have all had moments of joy in our lives that pass description.  That is the presence of God and a foretaste of heaven.  "Follow your bliss," said Joseph Campbell, and while that phrase can be twisted to mean almost anything, what it really means is know the joy - know the quiet moments of truth - and beauty and goodness - when you find them - and when they slip away, follow them.  For such is the trail of God.

He is a God who hides, so that He may not overwhelm us.

He hides that we may seek.

Let us pray ...

To you, Immaculate Heart of Mary, we consecrate ourselves – our hearts, minds, wills and lives and all those works we undertake so they may be for the glory of God, for the sake of the Gospel and the salvation of souls. Holy Mother, our Queen and our Joy, give to our hearts the dimensions of yours and form us in the image of your beloved Son.

No comments: