Monday, September 16, 2013

50 Days of Prayer - Day 23

[To go to a specific day's post in our 50 Days of Prayer, click on one of the days listed to the right. For an explanation of what the 50 Days of Prayer is about, click here. If you've missed some days, just jump in and join us anyway!] 

Day Twenty-Three

The Last Supper



The sacrifice of Calvary, perpetuated in the sacrifice of the Mass, really and truly is the supreme, distinctive worship of God. - Orestes Brownson, Saint-Worship

Well, toward morning the conversation turned on the Eucharist, which I, being the Catholic, was obviously supposed to defend. Mrs. Broadwater said when she was a child and received the Host, she thought of it as the Holy Ghost, He being the ‘most portable’ person of the Trinity; now she thought of it as a symbol and implied that it was a pretty good one. I then said, in a very shaky voice, ‘Well, if it's a symbol, to hell with it.’ That was all the defense I was capable of but I realize now that this is all I will ever be able to say about it, outside of a story, except that it is the center of existence for me; all the rest of life is expendable. - Flannery O'Conner, in a letter of December, 1955

As to Transubstantiation, it is less easy to talk currently about that; but I would gently suggest that, to most ordinary outsiders with any common sense, there would be a considerable practical difference between Jehovah pervading the universe and Jesus Christ coming into the room. - G. K. Chesterton, The Thing: Why I am Catholic

Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them." ... On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?” (John 6:53-60)
Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.  (1 Cor. 12:27

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament … There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves upon earth.― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Let us pray a decade of the Rosary meditating upon the Last Supper and Christ's presence in the Consecrated Host.

And let us pray ...

To you, Immaculate Heart of Mary, we consecrate ourselves – our hearts, minds, wills and lives and all those works we undertake so they may be for the glory of God, for the sake of the Gospel and the salvation of souls. Holy Mother, our Queen and our Joy, give to our hearts the dimensions of yours and form us in the image of your beloved Son.

No comments: