Wednesday, December 18, 2013

These are a Few of my Favorite Sins



Because Phil Robertson pointed out that homosexual acts are sinful (and repulsive and stupid), A&E has kicked him off his own show.  A&E supports the so-called LGBT community, you see.

Robertson quoted 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

My question is: does A&E stand by the Adulterers' Community as well?   Of all these sins, adultery by far sounds like the most fun to me.  Why didn't A&E kick Robertson off the show for criticizing adulterers?  Do they not stand by dirty old married men like me?  Why don't lecherous old coots have a voice in this?

And what of thieves and greedy folk?  In other words, bankers.  Doesn't A&E support bankers?  Are they commies, those folks at A&E?

And slanderers.  If A&E doesn't get behind the Community of Slanderers, what will become of most TV journalists?

***

Note that Robertson was quick to add ...

“We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job.  We just love ‘em, give ‘em the good news about Jesus – whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ‘em out later.”

***

The point is, sin kills.

I blogged about this earlier not because I hate LGBT's (or adulterers or swindlers), but because I hate sin.

In fact, I am perhaps "the greatest of sinners" (1 Tim 1:15), so I know whereof I speak.

I have been a practicing Christian since my conversion 16 years ago.  My life since then has been divided into two big chapters.  The first consisted of my wrestling with my old favorite sins that, after 8 years of struggle, God finally gave me dominion over.  The second chapter has been the 8 years since, a more difficult time because instead of wrestling against my new favorite sins, I did my best to rationalize them, to convince myself and others that they were not sins at all.

And that nearly killed me.  "The wages of sin is death" (Rom. 6:23) indeed.

I can't begin to describe the effect on my soul that my devotion to sin has had.  Only by seeing sin for what it is and by calling a spade a spade have I been able to have any healing at all - or for that matter any sanity.

If we can no longer call a sin a sin, then we will be forced to deny that grass is green and that 2+2 = 4.  Admitting sin is hard and shameful and painful.  But without that courage, we are lost.

And with it, the grace of God rushes in.

Support Phil Robertson by clicking here and liking the page.  

No comments: