Sunday, February 23, 2014

Guest Post by the Woman at the Well

He told me everything I ever did.

Not that I'm all that proud of everything I ever did.  Usually I try not to think about it.  Five husbands, but not really husbands.  A real mess, if you think about it.  I try not to think about it.

Why do we do what we do?  In my day, long ago, we didn't worry about psychology.  Maybe I am the way I am because of how I was raised, or what happened to me, or something.  But we did what we wanted to do.   And ... so do you.

Look, damage was done along the way.  It's not my fault that I broke a few hearts or homes.  You think I've never been damaged?  You think no one's ever hurt me?  Well, nobody's going to tell me I can't do what I want, get what I want.  My motto - "Leave me be!"

And I was thirsty.  We all get thirsty.  And we need the water for washing, cooking.

And he told me everything I ever did.

And the next thing I knew I was talking about the Christ.  And he was talking about living water.  Fountains springing up, the end of thirst for me and for people I meet.

I'm not a good person.  Don't you dare tell me that or I'll knock the stuffing out of you!  But I can tell you that.  I'm what you might call a "piece of work".  Except I hate to work and there's not much peace.

But he looked into the heart of me.  And he knew me for the worthless bitch that I am.  And he kept his eyes on me and promised me a fountain of eternal life.  If any other man had said a peep about the life I've led, I'd have dumped the bucket on him and taught him a lesson.

But not him.  He is the One to come.

I found myself talking about my hope.  Hope?  Of all things, I found I not only had hope but I was talking about it!  Believing in the One to come - believing ... perhaps ... that he was among us.