Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Human Mercy and Divine Mercy


If an enemy were insulting me,
I could endure it;
if a foe were rising against me,
I could hide.
But it is you, a man like myself,
my companion, my close friend,
with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship
(Ps. 55:12-14)

If you can forgive the worst thing another person can do to you - if you can even endure it - you are practicing heroic virtue.

Betrayal, treachery, abuse, ingratitude, abandonment - these things are upardonable - humanly speaking.  But

Love means loving the unlovable, or it is no virtue at all.  Charity means pardoning the unpardonable, or it is no virtue at all. - G K Chesterton

And, as Chesterton advocates elsewhere, we are required to be loyal to life, even when life seems to be disloyal to us.  And if (speaking as a knight) we are loyal to a Lady who is disloyal to us, then where lies nobility?  Where lies true loyalty?

It lies in fidelity to the true, the good and the beautiful despite the lies, the evil and the ugliness in our hearts and in the hearts of those we are called to be loyal to.

In other words, it lies in Mercy.



No comments: