Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Work at Hand

Kevin Tierney has written an interesting piece at Catholic Exchange, which serves as a corrective to our hyperventilation over our popes.

In particular, what caught my attention was what Tierney says when talking about various Catholic reform movements ...

There was no secret recipe to the success of these reform movements.  They didn’t rely on some groundbreaking new approach to things, nor did they unlock something previously hidden.  They emphasized a renewed commitment to God through those things immediately in front of them.

One of my greatest temptations is to think that the work I am called to do has to be big, awesome, yet-to-come, in some sense "sexy" - and that if it weren't for all of these frustrations, such as a home life that's less than perfect, resistance from clients and potential clients, days that are too busy and distracting - that I'd be able finally to do what God wants me to do.

But of course what God wants me to do is to bring Christ to the less than perfect home life, to the resistant clients and prospects, to the frustrating days of ups and downs and in-betweens.

What I need - indeed what we all need - is a renewed commitment to God through those things immediately in front of us.


No comments: