Saturday, August 30, 2014

A Big Adventure in the Little Grand Canyon

It was 95 degrees and humid and there was absolutely no one else on the trail, and you are forced to climb the canyon's rock bed, which is dangerously slippery, but I actually survived the Little Grand Canyon of Pomona, Illinois and had a great time.

This is the trail.

... and the rocks are slippery.  At one point I was simply standing and drinking, and my feet fell out from under me.  I hit the rocks hard.  (No, it's not what you're thinking.  I was drinking Gatorade.)

The trail does not go "down" (to hell) but right "up the canyon chute" as the addition to the directions says.  Fun, but in flash flood conditions, hikers walking up the canyon chute would simply be washed to their deaths - as has happened here.

A field of my favorite plants - ferns!

More ferns.

Yes, Ideally this works.  Practically it doesn't, as at one point both the trail and the blazes simply vanish.


Cooling off under the drippings of a cliff ledge.

After I lost the trail, I used my GPS to return off trail - but I had to bushwhack through this.

No comments: