Monday, August 25, 2014

St. Louis the King: Humility and Glory

Banner of St. Louis hanging in the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis - the view from where we were sitting.


Today is the feast of both St. Louis the King and St. Genesius, patron of actors.

Yesterday my family and I attended the Mass in Honor of the 250th Anniversary of the Founding of the city of St. Louis, at the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis.  Cardinal Rigali began the Mass by reading a letter from Pope Francis praising my home town and the saint who gave us his name.

14 bishops were in attendance!  My son Colin and I were counting miters as they processed in.

But what stuck with me the most was Cardinal Rigali quoting St. John Paul II, who said this in St. Louis, at this same cathedral, 15 years ago ...

“If you want peace, work for justice. If you want justice, defend life. It you want life, embrace the truth, the truth revealed by God.”

... and, I would add, love the poor, the oppressed, the suffering and the misfits in a spirit of humility, as did St. Louis the King.

St. Louis and St. Genesius, pray for us!


No comments: