Monday, October 13, 2014

Accept and Value My Orientation Toward Adultery! Now! Dammit! Now!



Regarding the document released yesterday from the Synod on the Family, this is what I told my friends on Facebook ...

"Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer to the Christian community: are we capable of welcoming these people, guaranteeing to them a fraternal space in our communities? Often they wish to encounter a Church that offers them a welcoming home. Are our communities capable of providing that, accepting and valuing their sexual orientation, without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony?"
How are we to "accept and value" their "sexual orientation", when it is intrinsically disordered, and when acting on it is sinful and demeaning?
I agree that homosexual partners often show each other a great deal of sacrificial love, which the document covers - but this above paragraph is simply [expletive deleted]. There's no way around that.  
Sometimes methinks the Holy Spirit has a way too subtle sense of humor, forgive my saying so. The obvious answer to the question, "Are our communities capable of providing that, accepting and valuing their sexual orientation, without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony?" is no. No, we cannot accept and value that which is intrinsically disordered. We can accept and value the people, but not their "sexual orientation". Should I expect my church to "accept and value" my orientation toward adultery - which is very strong and which I wish would be accepted and valued?
 

 

1 comment:

jvc said...

I follow a basketball message board daily from the Jesuit university I attended. The Catholic haters who publicly proclaim that they haven't been to Mass since their freshman year of college profess their pure delight at the Synod's document.

I am so, so sure that these developments will bring them back to the Church...