Sunday, November 16, 2014

Why Do Mormons Understand Catholic Teaching on the Family Better than Catholics?

I had dinner with two Mormons over the weekend, a husband and wife with three kids.  He's about 20 years older than she is.  I'll call them Henry and Minnie.  She talked about how she had been dating other guys when they met, but that she and her future husband formed an intense spiritual bond and friendship.  She said ...

I was engaged at the time, to someone else.  I remember this moment clearly.  We were at the river.  I said to Henry, "After I'm married, you'll still be my close friend, right?  We'll still email and talk and text and stuff, right?"  He said, "Of course not.  That's for husbands and wives.  If I see you, I'll be friendly to you, but our close friendship will end when you have a husband.  That's the way it has to be."  And I realized he was right!  And that I'd lose him unless I married him.

We Catholics should be ashamed that most Mormons have a better understanding of marriage, family and romance than we do.   Especially since it's the one thing they've kept in their religion that is utterly and totally Catholic.




5 comments:

Paul Stilwell said...

Amen and amen.

Paul Stilwell said...

Indeed, and as for anyone who wishes to bring up polygamist husbands, what is the chick who seeks to hold onto her groupie male friends after marriage but a sort of implicit polygamist?

Kevin Tierney said...

One can still keep a close friendship, but things change.

I have a female friend I've known for 15 years. Very close friend. Also close with her husband. I'm why they are married. I'm still friends with her. But since that marriage, I refuse to talk to her about "problems" in her marriage unless her husband is made aware. I told her that going in. Unless he's being abusive and you need to be out of the situation, I'm not going to let you dish dirt on him. Even if true, that's not my style.

If she asked me a question, I always answered "what does your husband think?" Even if sometimes me and him would give different advice, he takes precedence over me.

Erik Pratt said...

Close friendships must only be between like genders?

Kevin O'Brien said...

Erik - http://thwordinc.blogspot.com/2014/11/why-do-mormons-understand-catholic.html